Saturday, June 18, 2011

Adoption Meeting - Talking to your child about their birthfamily & adoption

We had an amazing meeting for our adoption group last night.

It was about telling your kids about their birthfamily and their adoption. The presenters were outstanding; 2 women, around my age, one is a birthmom and the other is an adult adoptee. They are both professional, well established women in their own right. They were open, honest and so informative.

I may not have the "perfect" life, to be honest, who does??? But I know I am very blessed. Being part of this adoption group and meeting birthmoms, adult adoptees and other members of the adoption triad is priceless. These meetings, it's members and our guest speakers have given us the tools that we need to be better parents and a better support system not only to our children but to their birth families.

Throughout our adoption journey I have come across some birthmoms who have such a feeling of loss and regret. My heart breaks for them. But, the more birthmom's that I speak with (not anonomysly -ie via the web) the more I see that they are happy that they chose adoption for their child. The speakers from last night's adoption meeting give us a lot of information regarding how so many birthmoms, after choosing adoption, go on to fulfill their dreams and the overwhelming majority of them are confident that adoption was the best choice for their child and for them. That does not mean it was the easiest choice. I wish I had all of the information regarding this research in front of me to share with you.

I can go on and on about this topic but I know my time is limited. The boys will be up soon and then it's off to soccer and t-ball. I love Saturdays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment