Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why adoption?

We get a lot of questions/comments from people (family, friends and strangers) about adoption. Here are just a few:
Why are you adopting again?
Aren't you happy with the family you have?
It must be easier since you already adopted.

To Brian and me the answers are simple but not easy to explain. I can talk about it for hours but will do my best to keep it concise in this forum. 

Why are we adopting again?

From our first date Brian and I discussed what we wanted as far as a family was concerned. We knew that we wanted a big family (4-5 kids). We have always loved our big family get-togethers. Don't get me wrong, we have our ups and downs as all families do - we're not perfect but we all love each other & are there for one another. Anyway,  s I said Brian and I knew what we wanted and we had both said that we were open to adopting ~not knowing at that time what would happen a few years later when we had Aidan. 

Just because the path of your dream changes doesn't mean that the dream goes away. 

ok - so I went on to write a couple of more paragraphs then I realized that most people aren't going to read all my ramblings so I deleted it . Like I said, I could go on and on. 


Aren't you happy with the family you have?

Without a doubt! I was floored when I heard someone ask this question. My first reaction was shock and my next was anger. How dare they think we don't love our family. I'd bet that they didn't ask their child that when  they heard she was having another baby! What is the difference?!
My thought is that if people can get pregnant and have more children they have the right to have more, right?  More than likely they have the love and desire to have more children. It doesn't mean they aren't happy with the children they already have.  It's the same with Brian and I. We love our boys more than words can explain but we still have a strong desire to have more children to love and spoil and laugh with and cry with and .....go through all that life has to offer with.


It must be easier since you adopted again.

NO! The emotions are still very much the same - nervous, anxious, excited. We still wait by the phone hoping that it will ring. My heart still skips a neat when it does. 

I know that typing takes the emotion out of things but believe me, this is something we are both very emotional and passionate about. Like I said earlier I could go on and on about this but I won't.



No comments:

Post a Comment